Drawing upon my 17 years of experience across the financial sector in investment banking, business strategy and real estate investments, I help clients grow and preserve their assets. Most of my clients benefit from one or more of my service offerings:
Active Portfolio Management – I interpret the markets to find advantageous asset classes, sectors and regions for my clients to invest in. My investment philosophy aims to enhance returns when the stock market is strong, and to provide some downside protection when the stock market is weak. This entails the following fundamental and technical aspects:
• Market Interpretation – I interpret the economic themes driving the market, where the market has an appetite and the investment styles that are being favored. I look for investments that have relative strength & outperformance compared to the broader market (measured by the S&P 500). I also determine if the market favors stock-picking or broad-based funds.
• Trend Following – I use technical analysis to determine if an investment is in an uptrend, downtrend or sideways trend. I always try to keep clients invested in investments in an uptrend.
• Seasonal/Cycle Factors – I use seasonal and cyclical factors to be mindful of times to help manage risk and times to add risk.
• Warning Signs – I use a number of indicators to monitor systematic risk, which alerts me if a market correction or bear market may occur.
• Downside Protection – When there is significant risk of a market correction or bear market, I seek to provide some downside protection for clients by re-allocating funds to lower risk assets or by hedging portfolios using options.
• Strategy-Based Stock Selection - Understanding business strategy can provide an edge in stock selection. My business strategy analysis aims to identify dominant or innovative companies that have:
New products or services that change human behavior
Large addressable markets
Rapidly growing revenue and earnings
Durable competitive advantages
Household brand recognition
• Options Strategy – I offer various option strategies for clients seeking options income or downside protection.
• Sustainable Investing - I help my clients align their investments with their values. I offer sustainable portfolios that integrate environmental, social and governance (ESG) factors, which may result in creating a positive impact while making profits.
• Financial Planning - For clients seeking a financial roadmap, I provide comprehensive financial planning to help them meet their financial goals and live the life they envision.
Prior Experience: Before joining UPSTREAM Investment Partners, I spent 17 years working for other global financial institutions including Morgan Stanley, Credit Suisse, Goldman Sachs, Deutsche Bank, Citibank and CapitalSource REIT in banking and strategy functions. I have an MBA in Finance and Global Strategy from NYU Stern School of Business and a BA in International Relations from Tufts University. I also have a Chartered Alternative Investment Analyst (CAIA) designation.
• I see myself as a global citizen and have friends from diverse backgrounds and cultures. I was born and raised in New York City and lived in 10 other cities around the world before settling down in Austin, Texas.
• I am happily married to a wife who is an environmental sustainability expert. So I eat mostly plant-based meals at home, watch Korean dramas and live in an eco-friendly home.
• I am an enthusiastic traveler, an avid tennis player, a surprisingly good cook, and a huge fan of classic rock, alternative rock and synth-pop music.